Friday, May 2, 2008

Week 9--April 28th--May 2nd

Where are the issues and what are the lessons in history? That is the question I have been considering this week. I considered it, because that is where the students' interest in history is firmly rooted--or at least in my class. And, history teachers should consider this and focus their studies around this theme.

I realize that it can be difficult to think of a transcending theme in every lesson of history we teach. However, I feel we need to. This week I taught a unit on the Watergate scandal. We read the background, watched "All the President's Men," and had a wonderful discussion on the ethics of Presidents, members of a President's staff, and the press. I was very proud of my students. The unit lessons did not include a lot of high technology or anything with frills. Rather, it had, at the root of it, a controversial issue and lessons that transcend to issues we are dealing with today. I did not truly differentiate instruction (I presented the information to all students in both written and visual form I guess). However, all students seemed engaged.

This, finding the significance of your lessons, is the foundation to effective teaching. I intend to devote time to this task this summer.

1 comment:

Xoaniña Rosmona said...

Hi Rob!
My name is Xoana and I´m spanish.
I had read your blog and i think it´s very interesting and your reflections too.
I´m a social educator and this themes are very importants for me.
I hope you have good lucky in your job!!
Sorry for my bad english.
See you!!
Xoana Terrero