Friday, April 4, 2008

Week 5--March 31- April 4th

I was at the Wisconsin Council for Social Studies Monday and Tuesday of this week. It was quite exciting. As you can observe from the last two posts, I gathered a lot of insight and resources at this conference. I really focused on the sessions that centered around planning history, technology in classrooms, and geography. It appears that an inquiry based history course is being pushed in the profession. I like the idea of historians as detectives, and primary sources as the evidence to answer questions of society. The only problem I have is thinking of the societal questions. I have been working on this, using the Universal by Design model, throughout my masters program. While I have written "essential questions" or questions that cut through subjects and affect everyone, I struggle writing good ones. I really think they are surface questions. A goal of mine is to improve these questions and the focus of my history, and geography for that matter, units.

No comments: