Friday, April 11, 2008

Week 6--April 7th-April 11th

This week was the start of the fourth quarter--new students, classes, and stress. I teach World Geography II, American History, and Recent U.S. History this quarter. Every quarter it seems I experiment with something. Sometimes, I wonder if try too many different things. There is something to be said about consistency. Here is what I am doing this quarter. I am continuing my research in American History--recording the readings and creating visuals that are offered on our class website. As time goes on, it is becoming more and more obvious that students will not use those options outside of the classroom. They are not convenient yet or the students do not see a great value in those tools. Some students still use them when given the option in class. I am trying to focus more on issues in world geography and less on map memorizing. I acquired a new textbook from the social studies conference that is providing me with insights. Finally, I am trying to spice up my Recent U.S. History class by using a variety of assessments--mostly project based.

The first week, so far, has been a bit hectic and rocky. I have to get "used" to the new students and establish the classroom environment. I have to become comfortable with the new schedule and managing lessons for three classes instead of two. This is the one thing about block scheduling that bothers me. It seems just when I begin to get comfortable, a new quarter begins. Oh well, until next time.

No comments: