Friday, April 18, 2008

Week 7--April 14th-April 18th

I used a new piece of technology in my World Geography class today. It is called google docs. It is an online office suite, similar to Microsoft Office suite, except it is online. It has a document creator, spreadsheet, and presentation maker. My geography class used the presentation maker to create presentations on a region of Europe. The neat thing is since the program is online, the students can work on parts of the presentation at the same time. They can also work on it at home without the need of expensive software. Finally, I had them add me as a collaborator and I was able to watch them work throughout the process. It is a great tool! Making effective presentations, however, is something we need to work on in the future.

My American history class continues to have the option to differentiate the methods they use to "take in" information and "make the information stick." It seems a few of them are starting to experiment and trying different methods than the audio or typical linguistic/verbal. I have not been following the effects on their academics. I want to wait until is all over to look so I am not influenced by the results. I am quite excited that they are trying other methods.

No comments: