Monday, March 17, 2008

Week 2 --March 10th to March 14th

My research is now in full swing. I informed my students about learning styles and multiple intelligences (many students already had knowledge of these theories). I then gave students options for "taking in" information from the textbook and "making it stick." The "taking in" options always involve reading the textbook. However, students may supplement readings with an audio recording of the readings, visuals (either you tube, comics, or something of that nature), or tactile options such as creating presentations of the reading or taking notes while reading. Once students has read the text they have to use a "make it stick" strategy, all options fit in one of the multiple intelligences.

The surveys show that a majority of my students have a strength in tactile learning.


I have yet to compile the multiple intelligence inventory.

Interestingly, in just the first few days of research, during work time, students have opted to use the ipods and listen to the audio files while reading. Some students have brought their own ipods in (I check to make certain they are listening to the audio files of the textbook readings). Perhaps a third of the class is listening to the reading while reading the text. I have yet to see if it is the audio learners of the class. However, the numbers seem higher than the inventory indicated.

No comments: