Monday, March 31, 2008

Why We Do This!


I am at the Wisconsin Council for Social Studies annual conference and just returned from a short expedition in the rain soaked streets of Middleton, Wisconsin. On my way to a greasy diner, called the Cheeseburger Paradise, I conversed with a couple also in search of food. They were not educators, but they were staying at the same hotel as I--taking a class for what, I presume, was their job. The conversation began casually about the weather and progressed to our purpose in the area. The one individual among us stated that she had always admired educators, but thought we were under paid and could never quite understand why anyone would want be a part of that profession. I told her not to feel too bad for us, we knew what we were getting into when we began our adventure and the job had its perks. We parted and went to our respected restaurants.

As I sat by myself in a "cheesy" (no pun intended) food establishment, I thought about that conversation and a man I had heard speak earlier in the day, and until last week, knew nothing about. The man's name is Greg Mortenson, co-author of the book Three Cups of Tea and, as far as I am concerned, a bona fide hero--worthy of rubbing shoulders with the likes of Mother Theresa and Gandhi. Mortenson, a sort of rambler after high school, was compelled, in 1992, to climb K2, after his sister died of an epileptic seizure, and dedicate the accomplishment to her memory. He failed to reach the summit and almost lost his life in the attempt. Luckily, a Pakistani man found him. Disoriented at the time and in need of assistance, Greg was very thankful when the Pakistani brought him to his village. In return for the kindness of the people in the man's village, Mortenson asked what he could do to return their brotherly love. The village leader said they could use a school. And so began a vocational calling that would lead Greg Mortenson, and associates, to build hundreds of schools and provide education to hundreds of thousands of students--sometimes in life threatening scenarios.

And so there I sat, pondering this lady who felt sorry for teachers being under paid and this man who, with no pay at all, has changed, and is changing, one of the most impoverished nations in the world. The inadequacies of people fully on my mind, it was quite clear to me why we do this.

No comments: